University of Cambridge
Allies and Morrison
Products / SystemGuara Living Roofs
What They Said: GRAHAM Construction completed the first accommodation scheme at the University of Cambridge’s new district, Eddington, a £350 million ‘urban-academic’ community forming part of the North West Cambridge development being delivered by the University.
Designed by R H Partnership, Swirles Court comprises four, three-to-five storey blocks containing 325 en-suite rooms with social and study spaces set around landscaped courtyards. The development also includes a 24 hour porters’ lodge reception, meeting and study areas, laundry facilities, sitting rooms and shared kitchens suitable for self-catering.
The delivery of the scheme has been innovative in its approach with a focus on sustainable solutions, ensuring consistency and quality of build.
The scheme is linked to a site-wide sustainable urban drainage system – the largest water recycling network in the country – and to the district heating system. An integrated allotment area allows students to grow their own produce.
- Design and build of four, three-to-five storey blocks containing 325 en-suite rooms
- Works undertaken on a major development site with multiple contractors, overseen by a site-wide Infrastructure Contractor
- Development design to promote sustainable community living
- Installation of pre-fabricated bathroom pods, and connection to a district-wide heating system for the entire development
- An integrated student allotment, secure indoor cycle storage and access to cycle routes
- BREEAM “Excellent”